Historical regions in the county

Odorhei

In the course of history, the country of Odorhei lived in people's minds as the Szekler mother-seat with Odorheiu Secuiesc as its mother-town. From natural geographic point of view, the river valley under Odorheiu Secuiesc can already be regarded as the middle section of the River Tarnava Mare. The Tarnava Mare valley gives the landscape a particular basin-like character. Generally it is referred to as "the Odorhei country" by the people of the neighbourhood.

Odorhei is a particular corner of Szeklerland. Much has been written about it. The myths of the "mother-seat" and "mother-town" may have had the most powerful influence on its writers. Many of the churches of Odorhei Seat (Tinutul Odorheiului) shows their 13th century origin. The Tarnava Mare is the main river of Odorhei Seat. Its full length is 246 km, but it only flows in 85 km length on the area of Harghita county.

The area of Odorhei Seat was 50 square miles, with a population of 111,000 people and two towns (Odorheiu Secuiesc, Oláhfalu) in 1876. Since then, its administrative division has changed a lot. 10 more villages from the neighbouring municipalities have been annexed to it. The settlements of the Odorhei country - consisting of small villages mainly - can mostly be approached from inferior public roads. The conditions for holiday are not given at regional level either. The centres of the development of touristic purpose are the mediaeval - partially rebuilt - architectural monuments, churches and mansions. Conditions for receiving visitors are mainly given in Odorheiu Secuiesc.