The Monument Complex of Sumuleu-Ciuc and other places of interest
The Sumuleu-Ciuc Church and Monastery (Franciscan Order Directorate –str. Szék 210. Tel.: 112-449). One of the most significant monument complexes of Transylvania, it is registered historical monument of Harghita county. Several names were given to it in the course of time, from among which the Mary Holy church and Franciscan Baroque complex are the best-known ones.
The Franciscan church is one of the most famous architectural monuments of Transylvania. It belongs to the best-known shrines of Romania and it is the largest place of pilgrimage in Transylvania. It was built in Baroque style, between 1804-1834
The first church was built by the observant Franciscans, in Gothic style, in 1442-48– The mediaeval church was half the size of the present one. In 1802 it was demolished and the actual church was built in its place.
Today the most valuable object of the church is the statue carved of lime-tree: the Holy Virginwith Jesus the child, with gilded wooden crown on her head. The Renaissance, gilded and painted 16th century statue is the largest among the devotional statues known all over the world (227 cm). Several legends talk about the miracles attributed to the statue being one of the most typical illustrations of the “Woman dressed in the Sun”
Beautiful altar-pieces, its organ belonging to the most famous concert organs of Romania, the third largest one of Transylvania, its coloured vitrails ,two further statues of saints, a Pagan sacrificial stone, reliefs are among the most valuable pieces of this church. The tombs of some of the most famous people of the region can also be found here.
The Franciscan monastery (cloister; str.Szék nr. 210). It was built between 1733-1779. Till 1854, it had housed the printing press founded in 1675 by János Kájoni, and it was also the scene of the famous passios. The cloister was burnt down several times.
The secondary education of Tinutul Ciucului was organised here in the monastery, beginning with 1668. There also used to be a picture-writing workshop next to the building in the 16-17th century. The monastery is also famous for its huge Franciscan library, which still preserves 6 incunabula from the 124 that it possessed in 1941.
Chapel of Saint John of Nepomuk It was built on the left side of the area in front of the church and the monastery in 1767. Formerly the pilgrims were received here.
Kálvária (the Pass of Jesus, Calvary Hill, Way of the Cross). The Way of the Cross leads up to the west side of the Sumuleu Mic (834 m), its 14 stations are marked with crosses, up to the Salvator Chapel. This is the way of the pilgrimage.
There are three chapels on the side and peak of the Sumuleu Mic .
Salvator Chapel (Silator Chapel). The chapel also appears on the List of Historical Monuments of Harghita county. Situated at 834 m altitude on the Sumuleu Mountain, it is the oldest and most valuable chapel in Sumuleu, the monument of the country Gothic and Baroque style
Suffering Jesus Chapel (Passio-chapel). It was built to the east of the Salvator Chapelin the 15-17th centuries . The statue of the kneeling Jesus can be seen inside. It is a registered historical monument of the county.
Chapel of Saint Anthony of Padova It is situated on the south side of the Sumuleu Mic. This registered historical monument was built between 1750-1773
“Sumuleu-Ciuc is the second sacrest place after Rome” – according to the Csángós. The annual Pentecost pilgrimage has a traditional arrangement which has developed during the centuries.
Other sights of Sumuleu-Ciuc:
The former residence of Tinutul Ciucului (today sanatory, hospital. Str. Szék 208.) was built in 1825 and it has had the most various functions since then.
The statue of Pál Péter Domokos (1901-1992) professor, ethnographer to the north of the church.
The Jakab Antal Study House built between 1994-96, it houses many conferences, trainings etc. 5 conference rooms, accommodation for 120 people, dining-room (for 250 people), bar, TV-room. The residence of the Venczel József Sociological Institute. Address: CARITAS – “Jakab Antal” Tanulmányi Ház, 4100. Miercurea-Ciuc.Str. Szék nr. 147. Tel.: 00-40-66-172-126, 113-452. Tel./Fax. 172-145. E-mail: email@example.com
KALOT House (str. Szék nr.127). Historical monument; it was built in 1930 according to the plans of Károly Kós. Today it houses the Reading Society of Catholic Lads (people's college)
Mikes Mansion (str. Szék u. 147.) Also historical monument.
The building of the orphanage the main building of the former Roman Catholic Secondary School. Historical monument.(str. Szék 214). It was built in Baroque style at the end of the 18th century. It has been rebuilt several times.
Sumuleu mineral water spring
Cioboteni village lies behind the Franciscan building complex. It united with Sumuleu in 1941.
Cioboteni Roman Catholic parish church – str. Kájoni János nr. 53. – Tel. 115-575). It appears on the List of Historical Monuments of the county. The church consecrated to Saint Peter and Paul, the church of Sumuleu Mic was built in neo-Baroque style between 1800-1817. Preserving Roman architectural elements, it is one of the oldest churches in Upper Ciuc.