Szekler Museum of Ciuc
The residence of the Museum is the Mikó Castle being in the property of the local government.
It was founded in 1930 by the members of the Ciuc Szekler Museum Society under the guidance of Pál Péter Domokos teacher, Imre Nagy painter and Géza Vámszer teacher.
Its first exhibition took place at the Pentecost of 1930: in 13 rooms more than 130 ethnographical, ecclesiastical and artistic objects were displayed.
Until 1950, the activity of the museum had been suspended. Then it was made an official institute belonging to the town administration by Dénes Kovács drawing teacher.
In 1968, when, as a result of the new regional administration in Romania, Harghita county was formed with Miercurea-Ciuc as its chief town, the Museum obtained county status. In 1985, the three other museums of the county (those of Odorheiu Secuiesc, Cristuru Secuiesc and Gheorgheni) were joined to it and the new institute was given the name Museum Complex of Harghita County.
Following the proposal of experts, this complex was decomposed in July 1994, and the above mentioned museums got back into the property of their founding towns. Thus, the Szekler Museum of Ciuc belongs to the town again.
Today the institute is a legal entity with its own statute, book-keeping and management.
There are 28 people working at the museum. The institute possesses the following collections: archeology 85,535 pieces, ethnography (wood, metal, ceramics, textile) 8,675 pieces, old books (Franciscan stock) 6,758 pieces, archival stock (manuscripts) 809 pieces, numismatics 2,096 pieces, jewels 63 pieces, weapons 126 pieces, modern history 412 pieces, art and decorative art 7,725 pieces, Imre Nagy's bequest 6,271 pieces, diapositives 1,158 pieces, photos 4,018 pieces, photo negatives 56,380 pieces, natural history 3,536 pieces, mineral water 1,448 pieces, science and technology 83 pieces.