The SICULICIDIUM Monument
The Siculicidium memorial column is a listed artistic monument of Harghita county (1992). The monument (dimensions: 3.30x3,30x13.30 m), together with its surrounding andesite structures built according to the plans of József Tamás of Miercurea-Ciuc were inaugurated on 8th October. István Szász was the executor of these plans, while the (2.60 m wide) statue of the mythical eagle of the ancient Hungarians was made by Miklós Köllő Szekler sculptor.
The monument was erected in commemoration of the 200 Szekler martyrs of the Ciuc and Trei Scaune regions slaughtered on 7th January 1764 by the imperial army.
The inscription of the marble plaque:
In commemoration of the 200 Szekler martyrs
of Ciuc and Trei Scaune
who died in defence of the ancient freedom
during the forced organization of the border guard army
at dawn on 7th January 1764
slaughtered by the imperial army
Erected by the grateful posterity
The organization of the Szekler border regiment was ordered in 1762 by Maria Theresa. The declared purposes were the defence of the eastern frontiers from invasions, the oppression of smuggling and the prevention from bringing in the plague. The unsaid purpose was the deployment of the Szekler army in the western wars of the empire. The Szeklers' objections delayed the organization process. They protested against the foreign military service, the German command and the fact that they could not regain their ancient freedom in exchange of their service. Generals Buccow and Siskovics tried to make them obey by force but the Szeklers rebelled against tyranny. On Christmas Eve 1763, the men of Siculeni went out to the forest in Frumoasa to protest against the contempt of their rights. The representants of Trei Scaune joined them on 5th January 1764. At the dawn of 7th January 1,350 Austrian soldiers encircled the sleeping village and shelled it, then slaughtered the defenceless inhabitants. The massacre led by General Siskovics lasted until 9 in the morning. According to the official report, about 400 people lost their lives then.
After the carnage, thousands of people, – according to some sources, as many people as of 5 Szekler villages – fled to Moldova. The people who fled from Siculeni joined the Csángós in Ghimes and Moldova and founded later the five Bucovinian Szekler villages (Hadikfalva, Andrásfalva, Istensegíts, Fogadjisten, Józseffalva). The inhabitants of these villages returned in several waves to the Carpathian Basin during the 19-20th centuries and today they live in scattered places from Deva to the Lower Danube, from Tolna–Baranya to the Buda country. The Szeklers absorbed in the Moldovan Csángós definitively remained on the outer side of the Carpathians.
The Siculicidium has a rich literature. One of the best-known literary work writing it up is József Nyírő's novel. It was elaborated scientifically by the historian István Imreh.