The village is situated at the crossing of the main roads of the Homorod region: the no. 131 and 133 county roads. It was built on the ruins of the Roman castrum. Nevertheless, there is no Roman ruin to be seen on the surface.
The lakes are situated on both sides of the road leading to the Ocland Pass, on the left side of the Homorodu Mare. This place is known for its salt spring, ponds and nature conservation area.
The salt-spring can be found on the edge of the Sanpaul saltbed. The salt concentration is 193.862 gr salt per litre. It was the ancient right of the inhabitants to get salt water twice a week, every Wednesday and Saturday. To the south of the salt-spring there was a large salt lake. Tools evoking Roman salt-mining were discovered in 1896.
A Sânpaul ponds. In the vicinity of the salt-spring an artificial lake district was created for fish-breeding. On a territory of 183 ha several fish-ponds were created. Next to 160 ha water surface there are 23 ha reedy and agricultural area. Besides the economic role of the ponds and angling, several water-birds and plants have got acclimatized. On the left of the road leading to Ocland there used to be small cones of mud volcanos next to the „Récék-tója" (Ducks' lake) and the „"Bihalak-tója" (Tadpoles' lake).
The ornithological reservation (nature conservation area). Several rare birds live on the shore of the Sanpaul lakes and the salt-mud. In certain periods it looks like a "bird-hotel". This is one of the resting place of the migrating birds and it was declared bird conservation area in 1980 (out of the 22 ha area 10 ha is occupied by the reservation). So far 231 bird species have been identified in this district, out of which 100 water-bird species. 90 further bird species have been identified, all of them migrating birds that use this area as place for rest and feeding.