Large commune of Harghita county, one of the most famous settlements of Sóvidék. In 1992 it had 6,349 inhabitants (5,879 Magyars, 15 Romanians, 455 Gypsies). The community centre had 5,097 inhabitants (4,629 Magyars, 13 Romanians, 455 Gypsies) in 1992. The name of Corund is inseparable from the folk ceramics and pot industry. Being one of the Transylvanian centre of folk pottery, Corund means the survival of the folk art by continuing our traditions and it also means the welfare of the locals at the same time. The viable community deals with many things: traditional pottery, wood processing, tinder-making and trade. The basis of the pottery is the slate on the left side of the Szakadát Stream on the west border of the commune. There used to be an aragonite-mine (today natural protection area) and a famous mineral water spa (today it is the scene of the Árcsó pottery-trade). Preserving its traditions , Corund is the typical example of the modernizing Szekler-villages: its trade, touristic and cultural role based on the pottery is getting more and more significant.
Corund is situated next to National Road 13A, 11 km far from Praid, 18 km from Sovata, 29 km from Odorheiu-Secuiesc and 80 km from Miercurea-Ciuc, in the southern part of the Corund Basin, at 575-625 m altitude.
Next to the clay another significant thing in the life of the village are its curative mineral water springs containing iron, indicated for people suffering from stomach-problems.
The country fair along the main street
It offers a vast variety of pottery, objects woven from stray, woolen products, wooden tools, objects for daily use or ornamental ones to the visitor.
The church, surrounded by a stone fence, stands to the east of the highway. It is registered among the monuments of Harghita county. Built in peasant-Baroque style, probably between 1720-1750, it has preserved late Gothic architectural elements as well.
The Unitarian cemetery is to be found at the end of the Cemetery street. Its carved wooden headstones illustrating men, women and children are outstanding examples of folk art.
Roman Catholic Church
Built in 1911, consecrated to Jesus' Heart it still preserves some remains of the old Gothic church.
There is a monument erected in the memory of the heroes died in World War I and II in the old village centre.
Next to the way to Atia, the village of Árcsó on the border between Corund and Atia offers a place for a short rest. Its name comes from the 'dangerous salt' or 'flowing salt' locution. The sights of Árcsó: the salt-well, the well-sediments and the mineral water springs. There used to be a cloister in the place called Monks' garden: in 1783 the Minorites moved here from their chapel at the Firtus Mountain because it had been damaged by snow. Today there is a mill in the place of the cloister.
It springs in the "salt-house", on the right of the Corund Stream, near National Road 13A. The use of its water was already regulated in the time of Mária Terézia. Thus, every Wednesday, the people of Corund and every Saturday, the locals of Atia carried the salt water - in exchange of "salt-notes" - in barrels, in their carts and used it for cooking, preparing bacon and also in breeding. The salty water oozes up from the miocene salt formation lying in the depth, indicating the direction of the anticline between Praid and the Szejke. The output of the concentrated salt water is 4hl per day. The inhabitants of Corund also used to deal in salt, they exchanged it for cereals in the neighbouring villages.
The sediments of Corund
Opposite the "salt-house", on the left side of National Road 13A (to the east) thick travertine layer indicates the existence of lukewarm mineral water springs on this area. It takes a one-hour walk to visit the three former aragonite mines, we can drink from the so-called "farting water" of the Csere Hill-spring, then, coming down from the 'Snail' Hill we arrive at the inn of Árcsó. The nature conservation area of the former aragonite mines at the border of Corund covers only a few hectares. The unusual hill-rows and waste rock piles of the spring cones and sediments can already be seen from the highway. Aragonite (rhombic system CaCO3-type) used to be mined here from the beginning of the 20th century. On the area of the former mines aragonite and calcite reefs, peastones and several types of travertine sediments can be examined – in a man-maimed, mainly secondary environment. This geological reservation area, unique at country level as well, is of scientific importance and it can be visited freely.
The former Corund Bath used to be the most famous health resort – of the 19th century Transylvania. – Today, the visitor can only see two springs with little water output and the building of the Árcsó Inn in this place. They can be found at a 1.2 km distance from the centre of Corund, to the north, on the left of the Corund-stream. The mineral water and salt-water spas have disappeared.
The mineral water springs of Árcsó come to the surface at 534 m, at the foot of the Lopágy Hill. The output of the sour water containing iron has decreased from 25,900 (1950) to 4,300 litres a day. It is used as table water and as laxative in case of peristalsis deficiency and gastritis.
The famous annual Árcsó pottery-trade has been held on the area between the bridge of the Corund Stream and the inn since 1978. The traditional country fair takes place at the first weekend of August and it presents the products of local handicrafts and ceramists of Corund. The offer includes pots, plates, jugs, vases, industrial ceramy, small sculpture etc.