It is situated in the valley-basin of Porumbenii Mari, along the middle section of the Tarnava Mare, on its right side, at 425-475 m altitude. The village lies 18 km far from Odorheiu-Secuiesc and 7 km far from Cristuru-Secuiesc along the (bitumenized) no. 137 county road. At the end of the 18th century the village was inhabited by 200 Unitarian families. As it was rich in forests, the locals dealt in board. In 1992 the number of the inhabitants was 1,203 (11 Romanians, 1,184 Magyars).
The church is listed among the historical monuments of Harghita county (1992). It was built in transitional style on the church-hill on the turn of the 13-14th centuries. Among its valuable pieces we can mention the choir, the frame of the sacristy, the wall of the ossarium and the mediaeval fresco. The early mediaeval findings of Porumbenii Mari indicate that there used to be a church before the 14th century as well. Certain parts of the church have preserved the characteristics of the architectural styles (mediaeval, early and late Gothic) in which they were created in the course of the time. The inner length of the church is 20.4 m, its height is 9.4 m. In 1789 coffered ceiling replaced the vault. The transformation of the nave took place in the second half of the 18th century.