Dârjiu (Székelyderzs, Darsch)
Darjiu and Mujna form one community. In 1992, it had 1,329 inhabitants. (10 Romanian, 1,319 Magyars). Both villages belong to the southern border settlements of Odorheiu-Secuiesc. From among them, Darjiu deserves special attention because of its monument church. In 1992, the population of the community centre was 844, except 8 Romanians all Magyars.
Unitarian Fortified Church
The church is registered among the historic monuments of Harghita county (1992) as one of the most significant monuments of Udvarhelyszék. It is the oldest fortified church of this region and the one most frequently mentioned in the art history literature. Five bastions and a bell-tower belong to it. Its mediaeval church surrounded by a high stone-wall still stands today. As a church fortress it has preserved some very peculiar architectural forms in a good condition. Saxon influence in style can also be mentioned with it.
The architectural complex of Darjiu is one of the most beautiful Gothic monument of the former Tinutul Odorheiului, and it is one of the most significant values of our art history at the same time. The inner frescos illustrating the legend of king St. László were painted in 1419. The style suggests the transition from Gothic to Romanticism. The old chapel built in Roman style (13-14th century) was enlarged and rebuilt in late Gothic style in the second half of the 15th century when it actually got its present form.
The basic area of the church is 1852 m2. It stands in the centre of the square-based fortress. The 5 m high castle wall was built after 1521. Four of the bastions stand on the corners and the fifth one rises at the middle of the western wall. The fortress was probably finished by the 1630s'.