The village lies to the north of Miercurea-Ciuc, 21 km far from it, on the plain of the Olt river, along National Road 132, in the middle of the Lower Ciuc Basin, at 612 m altitude. Until 1923 it had belonged to (Carta) together with Madarasi, Ineu and Tomesti. The railway crosses the settlement.
In the east it is bordered by the Ciucului Mountains, in the north by the Northern Harghita mountain-range. The main water-flow is the Olt. Its natural resources: iron ore, mercury, kaolin, cinnabar, mineral water. The village possessed sawmills and forge as well.
The Roman Catholic Church built in neo-Gothic style was consacrated in 1935, with the title Immaculate Conception. There is a monument in commemoration of Queen Elisabeth (murdered in 1889).
Black Pottery factory It can be seen in the village centre where, they also sell pottery in a small shop. Until 1952, 24 families had been engaged in pottery especially in making black pottery products.
Danesti is the country of the black pottery and the 'cherge'-making. The fame of the village is based on its woven woollen clothes and painted woollen carpets. Its Dugás spa serves the folk water treatment. The village was also famous for its iron stones and forge (between 1591-1779). Wood processing, animal-breeding and transportation were the main preoccupation of the villagers. In 1992, the number of the inhabitants was 2,407, all Magyars except 12 Romanians and 5 Gypsies On 1st January 1996 Danesti (together with Mădăraș) had 4,518 inhabitants.