For a long time the village was the centre of Lower Ciuc (Ciucul de Sus), once it was district residence as well. Administratively, it forms one community with Tomesti and Ineu, of which number of inhabitants was 5,785 in 1992 (except 20 Romanians and 29 Gypsies they were all Magyars). The community centre, Carta has 1,291 inhabitants. Primordial place of interest here is the Carta Roman Catholic church-fortress.
Carta is situated 23 km far from M-Ciuc. It can be approached on National Road 12, then along the no. 125 county road, where there are four settlements grown together: Carta, Ineu, Tomesti and Sandominic. The village has a railway station.
Carta lies at the foot of the Magyaros Peak (782 m), on a relatively spaceous place of Lower Ciuc. It was a member of the “'Six Villages' Mountain'” alpine land community. According to the tradition, there used to be a castle in the place named Várbükke.
Ineu is situated at a 24 km distance from Miercurea-Ciuc. It has grown together with Carta in the south and Tomesti in the north. From administrative point of view Ineu belongs to Carta. In 1992 the number of its inhabitants was 1,724, all Magyars with the exception of 3 Romanians. Since the Middle Ages it has been a pure Catholic village without an own church.
The inner area of the village is crossed by two branches of the River Olt that takes up the water of the Lok Stream carrying the water of two other streams itself.
Some old houses and barns can be seen in the village. A peasant house dating from 1874 is registered among the historical monuments of Harghita county (1992).
Vaskéstövi mineral water. The spring is to be found at 805 m altitude, with 1,500.91 mg/litre total mineral content. The old Gheorgheni road passed next to it. In the vicinity of the spring dolomite, schisty sandstone, quartz-brechas and andesite sediments have been deposited on the chrystaline schist. A granite vein rich in tourmaline breaks through the schist next to the Lok Stream.
Lying between Ineu and Sandominic, Tomesti is known as one of the traditionalist villages of Ciuc. From administrative point of view it belongs to Carta. In 1992, it had 2,770 inhabitants, all Magyars except 4 Romanians.
It is situated 26 km far from Miercurea-Ciuc, along the no. 125 county road. It has closely grown together with its upper and lower neighbours. Its border offers various geological attractions (opal-sediment, quarcite, marble, travertine).
The Broken Tower appears on the List of Historical Monuments of Harghita county (1992). At 1 km distance from the village, to the north-west of it stands the 11 m high Broken Tower, the remains of the mediaeval church of the village at 767 m altitude. Its wall is almost 1 m thick.
Today's Roman Catholic Church was built between 1776-78 . The 15th century Madonna-statue was brought here from the old church.
The Saint Ann Chapel of the Sándor family, rebuilt in 1861, stands on the hill to the west of the village.
The Sándor House (No. 673) is also a place of interest. It is registered among the historical monuments of Harghita county.