Mădăraș is actually the first settlement of Upper Ciuc as it is situated above the Bogat Pass. It is the southern member of the Upper Ciuc villages. The fame of the village was established by its iron mining, pottery and mineral water springs. Mercury ore mining ceased here in 1843. Formerly, 32 water-saws used to work along the Mădăraș Stream. The village belonged to the Upper Ciuc 'Six Villages' Mountain' estate community (together with Sandominic, Tomesti, Ineu, Carta and Danesti). The locals dealt in wood. In 1992, the number of the inhabitants was 2,297, with the exception of 11 Romanians all Magyars. Administratively, Mădăraș belongs to Danesti. The Harghita-Mădăraș Mountain (1,801) rises on its western border.
The village is situated to the north of Racu, 5 km far from it, on the plain of the Olt, at 710-720 m altitude, 18 km from Miercurea-Ciuc, 1 km from Sandominic, along National Road 12. The Szekler circular railway crosses it in north-south direction. The railway station is to be found in the southern part, 1 km far from the village centre. Along the Mădăraș Stream a forestier road and blue cross sign marking leads through the Fertau Saddle to Ivo and Zetea.
Roman Catholic Church The building of the church started in 1790 but it was completed only in 1822. The tower dates from 1796. The annual festival is held on 29th June.
In the Prince's Garden, at the western way out of the village, 800 m from it, the Saint Anthony Chapel was built in 1992 on the ruins of an old chapel. A wooden headboard and a memorial cross were erected here in commemoration of the locals executed by Maniu's soldiers on 10th October 1944.
The Mădăraș mineral water baths are to be found on the right plain of the Olt, in the vicinity of the railway station. The bicarbonic mineral water also containing iron springs to the surface from 250 m depth. This spring called Nagyegeri is the mineral water well with the largest output. It belongs to the mezothermal carbonic mineral water springs. Cooled, it can also be used as table water. After preliminary heating, its water is led into the eight bathtubs of the bath built in 1952. It can be indicated in the treatment of cardiovascular, rheumatic diseases, those of the nervous system and women's problems as well. Separating the CO2 gas a mofette can also be created.
In the vicinity of the Mădăraș lido (next to the Olt bridge), right to the highway, 100 m far from it, there is another mezothermal mineral water spring. As the water pressure has decreased, the lido has not functioned long.
The Köpüs mineral water springs on the cinnabaritic area of Mădăraș, at 1200 m altitude. Other mineral water springs: Vaseres, Kicsiborvíz, Szederjes, Nagyegri, Örménykerti.
There is a water-mill functioning at no. 620 that was built in the 19th century. It appears on the List of Historical Monuments of Harghita county (1992).