Sandominic is the native village of Áron Márton (1896-1980), Transylvanian Roman Catholic bishop. It is the northernmost settlement of Upper-Ciuc and its most populated community at the same time. In 1992, 6,678 people inhabited the village (all Magyars except 20 Romanians). Sandominic grew together with Tomesti in the south. Until 4th August 1967, Balan also belonged to the village (it had 12,323 inhabitants). Sandominic is a community rich in ethnographical, linguistical traditions. It has a village museum. Wood industry and stone-mining are significant here. Its house industry and folk art have a long and rich tradition. The Balan coppermines and the highway crossing the village were important promotors of the community development.
The village is situated 29 km far from Miercurea-Ciuc, to the north of the town. in the upper valley of the Olt river, along the 12 main road and the Szekler railroad, at the meeting point of four streams. Balan is situated to the north of it, at a 11 km distance and it can be approached along the 125 county roads. It can also be approached on the railway (Izvorul Olt station). The area of the large community is 11,360 ha, out of which 96 ha inner area.
The village is situated along the upper part of the Olt river, on its pleistocene sediments. It spreads on a 10 km long part of the upper part of the Olt. It is a village rich in soil waters. Subalpine climate.
(1) Roman Catholic church* It has preserved several objects from the Arpadian age. The church was built in 1795. Historic monument. Its statue of the Virgin was made in Sumuleu in the 15th century and it is registered among the artistic monuments of Harghita county.
The wooden church of the Greek Catholics dates back to 1787. The village also has an Othodox church as well.
The1944 martyres'memorial column stands in the Gábor-garden: they fell victims to the cruel bloodshed made by the Romanian nationalists on 14th October 1944
(2) The Community Museum (village museum) in the community culture centre preserves a rich collection from the Sandominic furniture-painters.
(3) Street network – the set-structure of the settlement has been investigated by many people. ten settlement structure*
Other places of interest: Imre Fodor's wooden gate (no. 1529), built in 1868.
Walking tour to the Pásztorbükk (1,108 m). .
Pásztorbükk memorial* It was erected to the memory of Báthori Endre (András), Transylvanian prince who was killed here on 3rd November 1599 by two local people, while fleeing from the army of Mihai voivod.
Several walking tours can be organised from Sandominic. Mountain tours to the Piatra Singuratica (1,608 m), the Hasmasu Mare (1,793 m), the Lamb-mountain (1794 m), Terkő-plain (1,225 m), the White Field, Hasmasu Negru, Devil's-mill (to the Öcsém-peak at 1,708 m), the riverhead of the Mures and Olt.
We leave Sandominic along the 12 highway in the valley until we reach the watershed of the Mures and the Olt and Izvoru Mures. From here, a new region Gheorgheni country starts.