Frumoasa is known as one of the most significant settlements of Middle Ciuc. It is situated along National Road 12A (Ghimes road). Its distinction, trade and industry was due to the Armenian people coming from Moldova who settled down here. The village used to be the residence of the Frumoasa district. In the 1700-1800s Frumoasa was the most important commercial centre of the Ciuc Basin, well-known for its vast variety of goods, including the "cherghe". It has always been a populated village and one having the right to hold fairs. In 1992, the number of the inhabitants was 1,768 out of which 12 Romanians and 1,755 Magyars. Frumoasa directs four villages. On 1stJanuary 1996 the number of inhabitants was 3,672. Next to the Szeklers Armenian people lived the village. The latters settled down here in 1668-69, their church was built in 1763.
In 1879 a Romanian church was built, the Roman Catholic church only 11 years later, in 1891-92 (previously, in 1694 a Roman Catholic chapel was built here). Between the two world wars there was also a printing press functioning in the village. Frumoasa played an important role in the cultural life of the country (a casino and a library were founded).
The large commune is situated at the foot of the Paganului Mountains and the Szellő Peak, along the Frumoasa Stream. From Miercurea-Ciuc, it can be approached along National Road 12A (12 km).
Leaving Frumoasa in the direction of the Ghimes Pass along National Road 12A we can participate in a pleasant trip where one of the attractions is represented by the Frumoasa Water-basin, built in 1986 in the valley of the Frumoasa Stream and its side-branches. To the north of it, upwards the Ghimes Peak (1,159 m) we can see the watershed of the Trotus River and the Frumoasa Stream. Here starts the country of Ghimes.The Ghimes country. The distance between Miercurea-Ciuc and the border between Harghita and Bacau counties is 37.8 km.