Today Topliţa-Ciuc belongs to Miercurea-Ciuc in the north and it is older than the latter. Its name originates in the Slavic word meaning 'marshy'. There can be another meaning of the word as well, that of 'deforestation' (formerly, in Ciuc forest clearings were named like this.). On the border of the village almost 10,000 ha forest were cut down in order to gain arable lands. Toplita-Ciuc was annexed to Miercurea-Ciuc in 1959 despite the fact that its population objected.
It is situated along National Road 12, at 2 km from Miercurea-Ciuc to the north at 675 m altitude. It is divided into the Alszeg and Felszeg 'tens'. After the 1896 fire many families founded the Ligat (registered in 1905) along National Road 13A leading to Odorheiu-Secuiesc. The water of the “Toplita mineral water spring” is mezothermal (20 C°). There are eight streams in the village.
Roman Catholic Churchon the right side of National Road 12. Built between 1841-44, the neobaroque church is a pilgrimage place. The altar and the altar-piece of the former Saint Laurence Chapel built in 1729, closed in 1812 have been preserved here: they are the creations of local artists. Since 1908 the village has been independent of Sumuleu.
The Lázár Mansion* was built in Classicist style in 1829. Today it houses the culture centre and the nursery school. It is registered among the historical monuments of Harghita county (1992)
The "Owl Castle" Bagolyvár house can also be seen here (on the left side of National Road 12, str. Toplita, on the right of the Sumuleu Stream).