Situated in the dike of the Tusnad Stream at 672 m altitude, Tušnad-Sat is a significant village of Lower Ciuc. It is largest seed-potato growing place in the country. In 1992, it had 904 inhabitants, 820 Magyars, 22 Romanians and 62 Gypsies. The villages Tusnadu-Nou and Vrabia (with only 233 inhabitants) belong to the commune.
Tušnad-Sat is situated along National Road 12, 25 km far from Miercurea-Ciuc, 7 km from Tusnad-Bai. Its railway station is at Tusnadu-Nou. The commune can also be approached from Sansimion along the no. 123A county road.
Tušnad-Sat lies in the northern foreground of Ciomat on the southern part of the Lower Ciuc Basin. It is famous for its several mineral water springs and for the Benes Bog that can be found on the territory of the village.The
Roman Catholic Church of Tušnad-Sat was probably built at the beginning of the 19th century, in the place of an old chapel of the Arpadian age some of which elements have been reserved.
In the cemetery several headstones can be found with sun-disks on them symbolizing the heathen-Christian cult.
Old roadside stone-crosses. One of them dating from 1743 is to be found to the south of the village, next to the highway. It appears on the List of Artistic Monuments of Harghita county.
The no. 139 house is registered historical monument.
Tušnadu-Nou was founded next to the Mitaci Stream, to the north of the River Olt, by 40 people whose houses had burnt down in 1882. Its independent life lasted 30 years. In 1992, the village had 1,020 inhabitants. From the Olt terrace the whole village and the mineral water bottling station built in 1973 can be seen clearly. The "Tusnad"-labelled mineral water has been bottled and distributed here since 1972.
National Road 12 crosses only a small part of the inner area of the village. Tušnadu-Nou is situated 2 km far from Tusnad-Sat, 26 km from Miercurea-Ciuc, 6 km from Tusnad-Bai. The River Olt flows between the highway and the railway, southwards to the Tusnad Pass.
Tušnadu-Nou lies at the inflow of three streams into the River Olt. On the wide washlands of the river there are several mineral water springs. Good quality quartz sand is exploited in the eastern border of the village.
ItsRoman Catholic Church, built between 1873-1897, has been an independent parish since 1912.
This small, hidden settlement of the Lower Ciuc Basin lies on the left bank of the Olt, along the Vrabia Stream, at 655 m altitude. It can be approached from Sancraieni along the no. 123A county road (21 km). The village was burnt several times. In 1992, it had 233 inhabitants, all Magyars except one Romanian. Vrabia is situated 3 km far from Tusnad, the commune centre.
The area of the Benes Bog is fed by mineral water springs. The bog lies on the left-hand side washlands of the Olt, at 644 m altitude. Several rare plants can be found here, for example the primulanak (Primula farinosa) as well as alder, willow and dwarf birch trees. The Birch Garden lying to the southwest of Tusnad and the Varsavész lying to the north of Tusnad Nou, on the right bank of the Olt can be regarded as a continuation of the Benes Bog. Here lives the Siberian ashflower (Ligularia sibirica) and the blue polemonium (Polemonium caeruleum). Several mineral water springs can be found on the courts in the village. Behind the railway halt lies the Kicsi Csemõ bog rich in rare plants.
The Archangels Chapel of Vrabia was built between 1770-1775. The annual feast is held on the first Sunday of September. Vrabia has always been a pure Catholic village.