Until 1850 Gălăuțaș, Platonești, Sărmaș and Hodoș were called Maros Loka. The Gălăuțaș (Galócás) name derives from a fish named galóca, which was fished in great numbers from the Mureș river, and transported by the liege lords of Aluniș (Magyaró) to the middle course of the Mureș. Today 2766 people live in the village (735 Hungarians). The village consists of a few smaller villages: at the entrance of the village there are Toleșeni and Nuțeni, in south-west there is Gălăuțaș-Pârâu, then Preluca and Zăpodea (situated in the valley with the same name) and in south, in the valley of Ursar stream there is Dealu Armanului. Gălăuțaș became independent from Subcetate around the year 1925. In 1st of January 1996 the population was of 2.955 people.
The Orthodox wood-church (Biserica Adormirea Maicii Domnului) It was built in 1791 and it was moved here from his original location from Toplița in 1903. In the official monuments catalogue of Harghita county (1992) the church figures as a monument building.
Leaving Sărmaș the main road no. 12 reaches Platonești settlement (1 km) then Runc settlement, then reaches the houses of Toleșeni (opposite, on the left bank of the Mureș we can see the scattered houses of Nuțeni and Plopiș. From here, touching Moglănești the road leads to Toplița. Here is the meeting point of the main roads no.12 and no.15.