Tulghes Pass is the name-giving place of Tulghes. It lies at the meeting point of the Bistrita Mica and the valley of the Putna flowing into it from the right. The community counting 3,751 inhabitants (with 1,147 buildings), the former clearing-village is situated in the valley of the Bistrita Mica river at 641 m altitude. Until the 1850's, the valley section opening towards the valley of the Bistrita Mica from the south had been known as Putna Loka (today Putna settlement is part of Tulghes). Here used to lead the old commercial road of the Piricske customs to the Bistrita Mica valley connecting the settlement to Moldova downwards and Bucovina upwards (through Bilbor). The villages Recea extending towards the Ditrau road (along the Putna stream, 3 km) and Hagota (5 km from Recea, towards the Cengeller Peak) as well as Pintic on the border of Neamt county (to the south of the Bistrita Mica, 2 km far from it and 7 km from the community centre) belong to Tulghes. Smaller settlements and place-names: Rezu Mare or Naghirez, Pârâu Asodului, Poiana Noua, Poiana Veche, Putna Mare, Sângeroasa, Sanatoriu TBC Tulghes. The inhabitants trade in lumber and board. The community used to be famous for its wood-mills, boardcutters and rafting. The raft-wood took its way towards Moldova from here. The county border from Tulghes is 5 km along the 127A county road which leads then towards Bicaz. In 1992, the community had 3,657 inhabitants. This number decreased to 3,414 by 1st January 1996.
The Piatra Runcului rises to the north of the village (1,215 m) with the protected butterfly plant (Astralagus Römeri), then, farther to the north, stands the Piatra Comarnic (1,512 m). In the west, the Barasau valley borders the community up to Corbu, then, to the south of this latter, Fagetel, being situated on the watershed between the Asodului and the Corbu streams. From there, the border stretches through the Fagul Inalt Peak (1,358 m) till the Cengellér Peak (1,036 m). Culmea Mica rises to the south of the centre. The border with Neamt county is in the valley of the Prisacani Stream flowing into the Bistrita Mica from the north (from the left).
The Attila spring coming into surface in the vicinity of the Piatra Rosie (1,510 m; on the border of Neamt county) used to be bottled formerly. There are 30 mineral water springs in the community, most of them feed on epizonal, quartzous chlorite shale, the iron content here is significantly higher than that of the Borsec springs coming into surface from crystal limestones and dolomites. There are also mineral water springs in the valley of the Balázs Stream and its affluents (6 springs in total in the valley of the Naghirez, Deák Stream, Csibi Stream and Mar Stream).
The inner area of the community centre consists of several parts: along the Bistrita Mica, the settlement part called Upper-Tulghes was formed, while the lower section of the Putna Stream valley is named Lower-Tulghes. In the valley of the Bistrita Mica, on its right bank lies the Poiana Veche. A small settlement is called Márpatak, another one, to the south of it is Putna (mainly in the valley of the Naghirez Stream). To the south of the inflow of the Balázs Stream, upwards the Putna Stream, in the eastern foreground of the Kecskevész (1,189 m) Recea (or Darvas Stream or Sumuleu on some maps) is the next settlement. Along the Balázs Stream the Balázs-neck Peak (1,078 m) can be reached to the southeast, the, beyond it, in the valley of the Jedan Stream (touching the 1,481 m peak of the Jedan mountain) we can reach the Poiana Marului lying to the northeast of Bicazi (in the valley of the river Bicazi).
Orthodox monument - wooden church The church (Biserica Sf. Arhangheli) can be seen in the valley of the Már Stream. It was built of wood in 1813. There is a wooden altar and beautiful icons in the tiled building of the church bearing on itself the elements of the Sekler and Moldovan folk architecture. It was built in the place of an older, 14-15th century church. It is officially registered among the monuments of Harghita county (1992).
The Saint Peter and Paul Orthodox wooden chapel was built towards the Rezu Mare in 1922.
Other places of interest: on the plot of Gheorghe Olaru (Valea Frumoasa no. 50): water-mill and fuller from 1875. Aurel's timber house from the 19th century (Valea Frumoasa, opposite to no. 74.). On the plot of Gheorghe Apostol (Valea Frumoasa, next to no. 815) a lime-kiln can be seen. The peasant economy of Nicolae Timaru (Rezu Mare 100.): house, kitchen, barn.