Ditrău (Gyergyóditró, Dittersdorf)
Ditrău is one of the large communes of the northern part of the Giurgiului Basin. Its outskirts, scattered farmsteads were formed in the 19th century: Jolotca, formed in 1780 as animal-breeding village, Țengheler, (lumbering), Tilalmaș, Torokpatak, Nyárasalja, Perenyaka. In 1992, Ditrau had 6,778 inhabitants (out of which 692 were inhabitants of Jolotca), all Magyars with the exception of 14 Romanians.
In the 19th century, Ditrau was considered the richest village of Transylvania because the water of the then-fashionable bath, Borsec sprang at its border. Travellers can view the two churches of the village; standing next to each other they offer the possibility of an interesting art historical comparison. Ditrau is the starting point for tours rovering over the nearby mountains.
Ditrău is situated at 742 m altitude on the northeastern periphery of the Giurgiului Basin. It already had 10 water-saws in the 1780s and it used to possess forests and pastures on the area of today's Borsec. The commune lies 13 km far from Gheorgheni, 7.5 km from Lazarea and 23 km from Toplita (along National Road 12). It is crossed in east-west direction by the no. 153 county road that establishes the public road connection towards Remetea as well as Tulghes through Cengeller.
Ditrău is the only village of Szeklerland after which a mineral: the ditroit was named (in 1866). With its varied petrographical construction, the Ditrău country has drown the geologists' attention upon itself: the eleolitsyenite (ditroit) occuring here is an interesting dash of colour of the Carpathians.
Roman Catholic Church (Katalin Church, small church, the old church standing in the centre). The church is a registered monument of Harghita county (1992). It was built between 1546-1557 and it proved suitable for holding only 500-600 people. Originally it was a castle church. After the Reformation it was affiliated to Lazarea, but in 1711 it became a mother-church again.
The large carved Szekler-gate in front of the parsonage was made in 1934 by the local Tamás Mezey.
Roman Catholic Church (Large church, New church, Jesus'Heart Church ). The church, built in neo-Gothic and eclectic style (the "style of the 1900s") between 1908-1911, is the largest double-towered one in the Giurgiului Basin.
The building of the old butcher's shop with wooden belfry (in the Holló Street): dating back to the beginning of the 19th century, it is a registered monument of Harghita county (1992).
At the 'head' of the commune, the no. 127 county road branches off to the east (right) towards Tengheler in the Ditrau Stream Valley, then, touching Hagota, it leads to Tulghes (37 km). The Ditrau - Tulghes (Putna) highway was built between 1885-1892. The Putna Valley - Upper Olt - Upper Békény - Piricske road has been used as a commercial road for centuries. At the same place, the no. 153C county road branches off westwards (to the left), towards Remetea lying on the left side of the River Mures (1 km), then it leads to the Ghiurghiului Valley through the crest of the Ghiurghiului Mountains.
Jolotca can be approached from National Road 12 the no. 127 county road (6 km) leading to the right from the bifurcation after Ditrau (4 km). The no. 127 county road connects Ditrau to Borsec (19.6 km).
In the place of the old chapel built in 1925, a new Roman Catholic church was built (beginning with 1973).