In 1992, Sarmas had 4,559 inhabitants (out of which only 937 Magyars). The village is situated at 677 m altitude along National Road 12. It has closely grown together with (Hodoșa along the highway and the railway, 2 km), it separated from Ditrau in 1925. Sărmaș is an alpine settlement with mixed population. Settlements belonging to Sarmas: Fundoaia (with 629 Romanians, 31 Magyars), Plătonești, in 1992, (with 543 Romanians and 6 Magyars), Runc (502 Romanians, 188 Magyars).
The basis of the economy in the former Gheorgheni-Sarmas is wood cutting and animal-breeding. In the 1970s new public buildings were built in the village, housing the Geological Research Enterprise in Sărmaș and a wood processing unit in Hodoșa. The commune had 4,276 inhabitants in 1996.
Walking tour to the 'Goat' Stone
Separated from Ditrau in 1925, Hodoșa (10 km far from Ditrau along National Road 12) now belongs to Sărmaș commune. The village founded on a deforested place has become populated gradually from the direction of Ditrau, Subcetate and Sărmaș, beginning with the 17th century. In 1992, the village had 1,575 inhabitants, out of which 990 Romanians and 584 Magyars. There is a wood processing factory in the village.
Petru Teslovan's house (no. 1044) with its peasant economy buildings built in the 20th century can be viewed at Hodoșa.