Miercurea-Ciuc

Places of interest in Miercurea-Ciuc

Places of interest in the old centre of the town:

The Mikó-castle P-ta Cetatii nr. 2.). It is registered among the historic monuments of Harghita county together with the remains of the moat.

The Mikó-castle is the most significant historic monument of Miercurea-Ciuc. It was built in the old administratve centre of the city. It can be approached from several directions (str. Petőfi S., str. Dózsa György, str. Nicolae Bălcescu). Today it houses the Ciuc Szekler Museum and it is the scene of the annual old music festivals.

The castle was built between 1623-1631, in neo-Renaissance style. It can be regarded as a border-fortress built in order to hold up the enemy invading from the direction of the Ghimes-pass

In the garden behind the castle a Village Museum was created in 1969 representing the typical folk architecture of the Ciuc-basin. Inside the museum several exhibitions can be visited (local history, natural history, handicrafts, book art, religious art and temporary exhibitions). The documentary library can also be found here.

In the small park in front of the entrance of the castle The bronze statues of Petőfi Sándor (on the left) and Nicolae Bălcescu on the right.

Other sights

The Dózsa György street

  • The former County House (P-ta Cetatii nr. 1. - today's Mayor's Office, Town Hall) was built in eclectic style in 1886. It is registered among the historic monuments of Harghita county (1992)
  • The building of the Court (Palace of Justice -str. Dózsa Gy. 6.): was built in eclectic style in 1892. Historic monument.
  • The building of the former Main Court (today hospital) was built in Classicising style in 1786. It was the building of the former Szekler border guard regiment no. 1., the first public building of the Tinutul Ciucului county (1876) in Miercurea-Ciuc. Historic monument.
  • Orthodox church it was built in neo-Byzantine style, in the old centre of the town, between 1929-1935. Historic monument. Since 1994 it has been the residence of the Ciuc-Covasna Orthodox Episcopacy.

In the Dózsa György street, the houses no. 1, 3 and 5 are registered as historic monuments.

The Petőfi Sándor street

  • The former girls' school, today's Petőfi Sándor primary School was built in 1891.
  • The building of the "Vigadó" was built in Secessionist style in 1904. Opposite this building, we can find the Secessionist Public School building. The former hotel houses the Reformate parish today. It was built in 1860). On the corner of the "Lejtő" street the former Ciuc Savings Bank can be found that also functioned as casino (today's dairy shop).
  • Outstanding houses in the Petőfi Sándor street: Number 1, 2, 3, 12, 19. 25, 29, 31, 33, 35, 36, 37, 39, registered as artistic monuments of Harghita county (1992).
  • The bronze bust of Gál Sándor, legendary general.

The George Coşbuc street

  • The building of the Márton Áron Grammar School - Formerly the Roman Catholic Comprehensive school (G. Coşbuc u. 80.) - it was built in 1909-1911, in Secessionist style. Historic monument, named after its former student, Márton Áron bishop. A The bust of the bishop can be seen in front of the school.

The Flowers street (Str. Florilor)

  • Roman Catholic parish church (str. Florilor 84. - One of the oldest clerical buildings of Miercurea-Ciuc. Historic monument built in Baroque style in1758.

Other sights

  • Townscape buildings In the George Coşbuc street, no. 2, 4, 6-os; 48 (built in the 20th century), the building of the former brewey (from the 19th century), no. 50. - all registered historic monuments of Harghita county
  • The bust of the painter Nagy Imre was placed in the court of the Nagy Imre Primary School of Miercurea-Ciuc in May 1998.
  • Millennial Monument on the Majláth Gusztáv square

Others: Greek Catholic church, built in modern style in 1930, today Orthodox church. The building of the National Bank (Bul. Timisoarei 17.; Historic monument built in Secessionist style in 1930. Indoors icerink "Vákár Lajos" (str. Patinoarului) one of the symbols of the town since the 1970s. The town is called "the country od winter sports" because of the several ice-hockey championships held here. The building of the Hospital (1888), theRailway station (1897). New buildings on the P-ta Libertatii: the Administrative centre of Harghita county, the Union trade Culture Centre, the former Harghita Hotel (today university building).

The first Reformate church of Miercurea-Ciuc was inaugurated on 23.September 2000. The number of the Reformate people has increased from 570 (1977) to 2,260. The small meeting house could not hold such a big number of people, so they started the building of the church in June 1991.