Vlăhiţa

Vlăhiţa (Szentegyháza, Wlahitza)

Gained city status in 1968, previously "Oláhfalu" (Village of walachs). The history of the settlement is strongly related with iron processing, through recently the only foundries in the Szeklerland in the industrial era where functioning here. The greatest tourist attraction of the city is the 140-year old foundry, one of the rarest European relics of the history of industrialisation, in function until recently. The foundry is older, than those of Hunedoara, first of his kind in Transsylvania, in the 1836 already in use. In 1848 here where produced the cannon-balls for the Hungarian revolutionary troops.

Situated at 860 m above sea-level is the highest settled city of the county. Between Odorheiu Secuiesc (Székelyudvarhely, 25 km on the west) and Miercurea-Ciuc (Csíkszereda, 27 km on the East) can be accessed through National Road 13A. The downtown is about 2 km south from the 13A road. The Vlahica (or Majzos) spa, towards East (mezotermal mineral baths) and Selters (Székely Szeltersz) spa both in the valley of Virghis (Vargyas patak) belongs to the city.

The foundries of Vlahita

The forge and the smithy-shop is the only, water-fuelled such machinery in the Szeklerland. In the official registry of monuments of Harghita county (1992) registered as monument of history of industrial development. Buildt in 1836, until 1956 was the main supplier of forged industrial products of the zone. Even today you can find a lot of his products, from smoothing irons to monumental iron-stoves, agricultural tools and machinery all over the zone.

The narcissus-fields

after some 45 minutes of hiking toward south-west of downtown Vlahita there is a 300 ha sized zone with the protected narcissus (Narcissus stellaris), at 877 m above the sea level. The zone, known as "Pokol-lázon" ("Hell-plateau") in the mid-may through mid June is a sea of flowers with a strong perfume - over 180-200 flowers on square meter can be found here. The zone is protected as nature's monument according to official registry of monuments of Harghita county (1992).